Total Pageviews

Thursday, March 25, 2010

Avatar – The Review

Cheeta Bhi Peeta Hai... That’s how bizarre the reaction has been to this movie, so much so that it has become the most successful film ever made in terms of box office collections and honestly lets accept it money makes the heart happier, the more the merrier...

I have faced enormous ridicule from all quarters for not watching Avatar until now and I must admit that I did feel a little weird. Imagine my domestic help who doesn’t understand English language watched this movie in English language at IMAX, as it’s the only 3D screen in Hyderabad, bought a ticket worth Rs.200 when his own salary per month is Rs.1500. Imagine one of my office friend went to another city, took an off on Friday from work just to see the movie with his group of college friends.

So since the stakes were so high I decided to honour Avatar & James Cameron. The last time I watched a 3D movie was Chota Chetan in 1995 when I went with my entire class and was unable to come back home as I was practically lost in Hyderabad, so much so that my parents has to call the Police to find out where we were!

James Cameron has spent years thinking about this movie, millions making it and eventually got back billions, why?

Because the special effects are just so brilliant and honestly blow you off your feet... Because some of the concepts that are shown are in movie one can’t even imagine... Because the characters are very strong and inspire you to face your fears whatever they maybe in life... & Because the good wins in the end by defeating the bad...

There’s nothing special as the story has nothing new to offer... Most of the times you struggle to understand some basic story facts... It’s hard to imagine why the humans waste so much time before eventually going out for an all out war and finally losing it as badly as they do...

It’s a decent movie and can be watched if one has the money and the time, but I didn’t feel that it has what it takes to become such a big hit! I’d like to believe that James Cameron is brilliant at what he does and deserves all the credit in the world, the movie is his all the way... Some people felt that 2012 released a while earlier was stupid but for the special effects, if that true that Avatar is even more stupid!

I’m glad I watched it and enjoyed the experience of seeing the audience with those larger than cheek-bone special 3D glasses looking like total idiots while seeing the film with my naked eye every now and then...

Watch it once and remember it a sci-fi thriller with very good special effects but not the greatest work in filmography...

FUZZY-O-METER:

3.5/5 – Watch it for the special effects and brag about it to other people as it can be a good topic for a drawing room conversation!

4 comments:

  1. All that your review has said about the movie -- that is exactly what I thought about it: it's a movie that should be liked mainly for the effects.

    I'm glad that we think alike :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. You finally saw it!!! :) and guess liked it as well... to a certain extent so from next time better believe me and CP :p

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey!

    How many Indian movies have we seen that have the exact same beginning, middle, and end, and yet, loved it! I guess Aavatar is one of those...I liked one thing about the story line, in the end it is the girl who saves the hero, not the opposite! Here's to girl power =)

    Did you get a chance to read any AMerican reviews about the movie?? Bhai wrote a whole paper on what racial tensions this movie depicts. When watching it i couldnt decide if the movie showed more parallels about Native Indian and American tensions (when they started taking over) or with middle east by using the stone/mineral analogy for oil... Some even made connections to black and white racial tensions by saying why were all the characters white???

    In response to your question of why did the humans take so long to attack...Well, the answer is simple. Americans are all about "democracy" and they like to save face...so before they can attack, they need an excuse to convince others that they are in the right.

    Loved reading your review, Fazal!! Looking forward to reading many more! =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. @ Harsh.... :) glad u agree with me...
    @ Ankita... Were it not for u and CP i would have never watched this film...
    @ Tasneem... Ya Avatar was Indian in more ways than one... I have not got a chance to read ur review, do share them with me plz... Good point u make abt racism in the movie... :)... Democracy's real meaning is DEMO CRAZY... !!!

    ReplyDelete